Out of Touch

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Bull's Eye!

I am going to be in a Target ad. I made this decision about a year ago while walking past some Target ads in Times Square. It was a winter day and not the kind of winter day that seems like a new beginning, either. It was was more slush than snow, more freezing than brisk, more lonely than anything else. I must have been hating my job that day. I do that. Often. And then, as hopeful as springtime, there were ten giant Target posters splashed along the subway wall. Bull's eye! I knew it was all about to be different. And by all, I mean every aspect of my life. The people in the posters were glowing, bouncing balls of golden light and radiant, radical, badical energy. This, I thought, is where I belong. If you call information to get my number, when the operator says, "What city?" you say, "Super Happy Targetland," because that where I live. Everything is possible. More evidence that life is better in a Target ad from the people in the ads themselves.




Sunkist Boy likes me. He's gay and so
conceited that he's checking
himself out in my mirror.
But I still, I deeply believe he likes me.
I'm not demanding attention by touching a stranger's
penis with my mouth or anything!
The Target Life shows me kindness.
--Annalisa M.







My dog was accidentally stamped
by some USDA meat checker.
My puppy's name is Taco Meat.
The Target Life is ironic.
-- Steve J.


This is my mom and dad a long time ago.
Mom's mowing the lawn because she's sexy.
Dad's kicking a ball because he's confused by mom.
Max Headroom is framing that ball with a hoop because at the time, he was fictious and famous and rather eccentric.
I was born a year later.
Max always remembers my birthday.
The Target Life shows me the love.
-- Simon L.







She said, "Yo, your car has acne, son. "
I said, "Pop it, mami!"
The Target Life makes me think I'm Puerto Rican.
--Akira K.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home